Thursday, November 09, 2006

OCN 2006

After attending the Online Conferentie Nederland in the RAI exhibition center in Amsterdam, Netherlands [OCN2006], and meeting some librarian bloggers, I decided that we definitely need to blog. So... here goes! The Peace Palace Library is going to go through some interesting times as all of us here prepare to move into our new building in the beginning of December (if all goes well).
We will probably blog mainly in English, but sometimes we might use Dutch, as this is still our language number 1.
At the OCN, I didn't hear 2.0 as much as I hoped. Overall, the conference didn't feel as up-to-date as the Internet Librarian International does, and even so, I didn't go this year to London since the programme didn't look as exciting as I thought it did last year. Perhaps I'll go when MaryDee Ojala cuts her hair?
I liked the KB 2.0 presentation; they definitely seem to know what they are doing and they are doing it; splitting content from interface and opening up their data to the world, so third parties can make their own applications with the KB data. After going to presentations like the Infor one (former GEAC) where you see the trend towards one googlelike searchbox, I feel we should make one big searchbox for our own website and catalogue. Right now, the searchbox takes you to the catalogue, but then navigating is difficult, so I'd rather have users search through the whole site and stay on the website end.
It is hard to sum up a 2-day conference just like that, I was happy I went and even happier I met some bibliobloggers, I am all set up to blog regularly on the library and what we are doing here, or should do... I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home